Alpacas on the Move


Part of pasture management is allowing it to rest after the animals have eaten it to the ground. We have 6 areas where the alpacas graze and hang out. I currently have 3 in rest. Yesterday I decided to move the mommies, babies and the girl to the front paddock so I can observe when the last baby is born. Marla is taking forever to deliver this cria! I let the crew out through the front of the barn. They were delighted! They ran, jumped and played as if they never get out of the barn. Even the mommies were happy. They sniffed the poop pile, checked out the hay bin, and dashed up/down the length of the paddock. The babies and White Lace were particularily excited. W.L. even jumped straight up into the air. When they finally settled down they munched on the hay I had put out for them and stuck their heads through the fence to eat the lawn. I even saw Meddlin Millie stretched out sunbathing.
On the other hand the boys were not so sure about their new placement. I put them into the largest area where the grass is rather tall. Usually hey tend to run about and irritate each other. They screetch and scream while chasing one another displaying their manhood. What a guy thing! Please. I thought this new paddock would allow them room to carry on. I was surprised that they actually didn't harass each other because they were so busy snacking on the grass. So in the end everyone was pleased especially me because I can see the to be mommy from the front porch. I am sure the minute I actually sit down in the hammock with a glass of ice tea, she will go into delivery! Tamara

Comments