Catching up
















Life on a farm is similar to having a baby. No one actually says "I am not having a baby because it is too much work." Of course there may be other reasons. The same goes for a farm. You don't really think about the back breaking work, never ending projects and lack of time for anything or anyone else. You just sort of muddle through and learn as you go along. And enjoy every minute of it. I do admit a sense of overwhelming incompetence occasionally. I don't think it is unnatural for someone as myself having grown up in a city. It must be in the genes--I have 5 generations of farmers on both sides of my family.
Apart from feeling exhausted every night, I feel blessed because everyday something new or unusual occurs. For example, Chester has discovered the bluebird house. Sam and I worked very hard to get a bluebird to nest in a house we placed near the garden. A male bluebird inspected the home and his mate accepted it as a place to lay their eggs. We have been very careful not to disturb them. Until today when I noticed Chester had climbed the post of the bird house and was sticking his nose near the entrance! He jumped off when I called his name but his favorite place to lounge now is in a bare spot under the house. I am hoping he will leave them alone. I will have to watch him.

The chickens have been behaving themselves by staying near the barn and leaving the landscaping alone. I am happy about this. And they have been laying many eggs which Noah appreciates as he is selling them to family friends. Today Sam found an egg in the alpaca stalls nestled in the hay. It was brown with flecks of white. It was beautiful. He came into the house and cooked it up! What a great way to start a Saturday morning. Tamara

Comments