We don't need t.v.- we have chickens & Chester!!



These chickens...They are hilarious! Everyday they are into something or another. About 10 days ago I realized the chickens were gobbling down the dry beef/chicken flavored cat food. I keep it in a container that holds about 8 cups of food. When I finished chores in the morning the box was full. By 4 p.m. it was completely empty. It took me a few minutes to realize that it was not the cats munching down, but the chickens. I only realized this when one of the hens came hobbling along started pecking away. Yum. Yum. I couldn't believe they ate it all. And it gave me the creeps to think our eggs might actually be beef/chicken flavored. Surely I was capable of outsmarting the chickens. So I moved the cat's water and food up to the loft. This was successful for about 3 days. One night Miriam and I went up to close the loft door when we were startled by 4 chickens. Of course the cats followed us up. Chester went berserk. He actually does not want to eat a hen. He just wants to terrorize them. He started running towards her and she squawked and flapped her wings and ran in circles. She jumped up on a pile of hay bales, he followed. Miriam was running around trying to catch Chester. Finally she lunged and grabbed him while I chased the hens towards the loft door. I swear Chester was laughing. In the end the chickens ran towards the loft door, hesitated and jumped to the ground. I will say that they left a mighty nice stash of eggs in a neat little nest in the hay. And my solution for saving the cat food for the cats is to put a baby gate at the bottom of the stairs. The cats can slide under and the chickens are kept out. Tamara

Comments