Spinning



Successful spinning takes a lot of practice and a lot more patience. I started spinning last fall by taking a course at a local yarn store with the determination to spin my alpaca roving into beautiful and perfectly uniform yarn. Ha! It is not an easy task to accomplish and I decided I did not even prefer this type of yarn. I love bulky, chunky, slubby fiber which I can knit fun and unique hats. The problem is that once the spinner has perfected fine fiber, it is difficult to create slubs. Therefore I have decided not to strive for flawless yarn. The brown hat is made from my first skein of fiber. I attached a felted alpaca ball on top. The white and dark brown are alpaca. The main part of the hat is made from sheep wool. There is not much twist to this fiber and it is quite slubby. The blue/black/gray hat is fiber from our alpaca Nightengale. The blue is dyed sheep wool. I love the feel of this roving as I spin it. It is quite soft and the wool gives some elasticity to the yarn. The stitches of the knitting slant slightly to the right because I have too much twist in the yarn. I like it and prefer its imperfections. I am still working on synchronizing my foot pedal and drawing the fiber out.
It would be nice if I had more time to practice...maybe when it snows three feet and it is too cold to be outside.

Comments