Shoveling Snow


I really don't enjoy shoveling snow. I usually hand the job off to Noah, but wasn't able to do so today. I knew that I had a big job to finish before 12 pm as a piece of furniture was being delivered and the workers needed to get from the drive to the living room i.e. across the grass and up the stairs to the front door. They also needed to remove a piano from the basement. There needed to be a path to that door as well. But first I had to take Miriam to get her braces. We were so hungry after the appointment that we stopped at the grocery store and grabbed a bite to eat. And do not ask me why I bought a donut. I never, ever eat donuts and this one was covered in 10 lbs of sugar. I am savory kinda of gal. What was I thinking? By the time I got home and started shoveling away I was beginning to feel quite light headed. What was wrong? I wondered. That blasted sugar! I was really dizzy by now but there was no time to go inside and crash on the couch. The piano was going to be delivered in 15 minutes.

Living on a farm one should always expect help from the animals that reside there. And as if on cue the goat saw me struggling through the snow and came to investigate. I no longer could stand. I was not only sugar jolted, but realized my body was too old for this work! I dropped to my knees and began crawling around while shoveling. It was quite a scene!

The goat aided my efforts by standing in the way every 2 or 3 minutes so I could take a break. (ha ha) After about 10 minutes I collapsed in the snow. Goat ambled over to me and sniffed my face. I guess she was concerned I wasn't breathing. I lay spread out in the path with the shovel by my side and Noah's big Russian hat warming my head. Suddenly I felt something heavy on my forehead...Chester! He had come to my rescue as well. What helpful animals we have! Needless to say I did finish the path and clear the stairs. And yes, I did clean it while on my knees. And no, the animals only followed me around and did not help one bit.

In the end all my efforts were in vain because the men brought the piano through the garage! Curses to snow and apple fritter donuts!

Comments