Come on snow..Melt!



The days of green pastures and flowers bursting with color are nagging at the back of my mind. I don't actually mind snow. Although farm work is so difficult in two foot high drifts. Deep in the middle of winter winds and icicles I can manage by not doing anything except feed the animals, but early spring just makes me want to pull my hair out. It is muddy, poopy, and swampy. A cesspool of muck and yuck. I almost lost my boot yesterday in the mini paddock. Yeah, yeah, I know. It wouldn't be that muddy if I actually had grass. Darn those mini choppers. I am enjoy the lovely sunny days albeit cold and frozen in the morning. But afternoon when I can actually remove the poop piles because they are unfrozen, I pray I don't trip and fall into the mess. Thankfully early spring is short and spring break falls into the middle of it. I can leave and let my wonderful caretaker, Rena, deal with daily chores as I fly off to ten days of adventure.

But farm work goes on rain, shine or snow and as does the saga of the goats. Yesterday late afternoon I went out to check on the little monsters. And as you can see from the photo...Juliette in front of their little house. Guess who is inside? New Goat. She won't let her out!! This is unbelievable. Never in my life did I expect such obstinate goats. Finally I coaxed Juliette away from the house with a little grain. I sat down to to observe and basically monitor their behavior. Of course Juliette and NG want to be scratched which I did. I had put 1/4 of flake of hay on their house to hand feed to them as incentive if they got to be quarrelsome. Anna Nana found it and was trying to eat a bit. I had my back to the house and she was behind me. My phone rang and I was talking with a friend when suddenly I was knocked forward. I was taken completely off guard by a falling goat. She smashed into my upper back and head with a powerful klonk! I was so surprised as was she. Thankfully no one was hurt and I nearly cried I was laughing so hard. I guess it is just another day of goat life. Thank goodness Alpacas are quiet and serene!

Comments

  1. Your goat sagas make me want to get some of my own! I love to read about all their drama!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment