The Hackle Monster


Aggh! I am going crazy! My spinning friend, Melissa, showed me how to make a hackle out of combs and a piece of wood. I have been experimenting ever since. I love to combine colors and fabrics into my alpaca fiber. This is my first shot at yarn art. The basis of this yarn is my new alpaca roving from Kahula the Kid and Marla. They are bay black and rose gray. Very beautiful roving. Any way I then combined peach, deep purple and hot pink wool (sorry I don't know what kind of sheep), silver angel hair, bits of peach tuile, and clumps of recycled sari fabric. I spun the hackled fiber and plied the single with silver thread. Oolala. I love it. I had one small break about 1/4 of the way into the yarn, but cleverly fixed it. The skein is 85 yards.


I am now working on fawn alpaca roving with purple merino and pink angel hair. I might add some bits of tuile, or a few buttons, wait..what about shredded wrapping paper? or sequins or.....

Comments

  1. Beautiful colors. I really need to make a hackle (they are too expensive to buy) because there are times I want to create that without running the fiber through the drum carder again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative....I need to make more time for crafts! I love the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is easy. I will post a photo of the hackle. You can do it Jillian. It is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment