Natural Dye Mistake


I have been mulling over what will be the next dye pot I will simmer my wool in. I have come up with some clever and interesting plants. I thought about virginia creeper, a native vine to the Northeast. It looks similar to poison ivy except that it has 5 leaves vs. 3 leaves. I also thought about berries as we have an abundance of black berries in our woods. But I am not partial to dyeing with edible foods. I wouldn't mind beets or carrots as long as I use the vegetable in cooking and save the dye bath for wool.
I thought I might dye with Queen Anne's Lace. A beautiful summer wildflower. I grabbed the scissors and a bucket to gather a pot full. But alas...I harvested the wrong plant. I ended up with woody yarrow. Oddly I know the difference. What was I thinking? I decided to try my luck. The dye bath was a yucky yellow/brown. I pitched it. Having decided I was going to dye today I opened 6 packets of my old stand by Kool Aid. And dyed 2 skeins of wool I got in Bolivia. They turned out pretty nicely but not at all what I had planned.
Stay tuned for Virginia Creeper...

Comments