Friday Fiber Arts-Spinning with seed beads

I wanted to add some beads to this skein which was spun on a spindle in Bolivia (100% alpaca of course!). I was shooting for something Indian as in Taj Mahal or the like. I didn't really like the original color so I dyed it my fav. Kool Aid. I love this stuff! It dyes wonderfully, is light fast and produces vibrant unique colors. The original shade of this yarn was a boring beige. Still I wasn't happy with final result even after the hip cherry Kool Aid dye. It really needed some bling! I love sparkles, vibrant colors, and overall shiny, glittering glitz. Hence the seed bead idea. I did not google this idea or check to see how it might be done. Why would I make this easy for myself? I just decided string a bunch of colored beads onto a metallic thread. All was going along well until I had to move the string and place it in a plastic bag. It got all bungled about and I spent 1 1 /2 hours untangling it so I could ply it with the yarn. Finally the plying took place and the result is below.
The thread I used is pretty strong and I am confident it will hold up nicely. I did hear a rumor about a bead stringer that I could buy. A few women were talking about it at the Michigan Fiber Festival and my ears perked up. I tried to find an example from one of the vendors but no luck! I just wanted to see what it looks like. The stringing and plying were a bit of a stress reliever. And I had fun apart from the untangling.

Comments

  1. I love the color even without the beads. I think it's great that you experimented with the beads. I did for the first time during Tour de Fleece but I only used a 2ply and threaded the beads on to one ply before I started. If I had it to do all over again (which I will) then I would keep the beads closer together. I am knitting my experiment up right now and the beads keep landing in the same spot on the hat. Argh!

    thanks for sharing your beautiful yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I can see that happening in this skein too. I wonder if I should have done it differently. Oh well. Keep on knittin girl. It will look great even if the beads are piled up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The final color is very nice. It has a very earthy quality and the little sparkle that the beads give is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment