Missing Alpaca


Every morning as I grain the alpacas I count them and look them over. I see if they have anything unusual about them such as their gait or dull expression in their eyes. Yesterday I fed the girls and went over my routine mental check list. All was well. I carried the boy's grain to their paddock and as I placed the buckets on the fence I counted each one. 6 total. Huh? I should have 7 boys. I counted again. Then again. I took a deep breath and scanned the paddock. I walked the fence line to see in their shelter. Who was missing? I rechecked. Quito. My first born alpaca. He is a fawn and a little over a year old. I frantically searched the edges of the fence line. No Quito. I am thinking "Great. Someone has an alpaca on their lawn." I ran over to the girl's paddock and counted. Eight. Good. I searched their paddock and shelter. No Quito. I thought he might have escaped and ran over to this paddock to be with his mom.
O.K. Now I am panicking. Is he alone in the woods that surround our farm? Did he wander off and head down the road? I didn't know what to do so I called Sam. As I am explaining, calmly, that our alpaca is gone. I glance to a tree beyond the fence line and lo and behold there he is-Quito standing in the shade craning his neck to reach a leaf from the oak tree. I felt my stomach fall. Whew. I didn't see him there because he was in the shade where it is quite dark. I should have expected that he would not wander off. I guess I wasn't thinking clearly. Thankfully he is safe and back with his buddies Delphine and Goyo.

Comments

  1. Yikes! That would give me a scare too. I always count mine too. Glad he's safe where he belongs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. He slipped out under the fence. His mom always sticks her feet in the water buckets so I guess he has to have a vice too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment