A rainbow of felted alpaca balls


Felting alpaca balls for jewelry is not as monotonous as it may seem. This selection are balls I recently made. I typically needle felt the ball to shape it. Then wet felt it for a more dense ball. The deep purple ball in the left corner is needle felted only. It is not as compact and solid which doesn't make very sturdy jewelry.
The balls shown here are a mixture of alpaca and wool. The orange ones are combed top merino. I don't really like to work with combed top. It tends to be harder to wet felt without creases and cracks. I prefer raw fiber that I have dyed and carded in my Ashford hand carders. The yellow dyes are from yellow cone flower and Queen Anne's Lace from my pasture. I top dyed the cone flower in pink kool aid to get a tie dye effect. The purple balls are white alpaca dyed in purple kool aid. The light brown color balls are fawn alpaca top dyed in orange kool aid. The remaining colors are wool with commercial dyes.
With a beautiful selection to choose from...I can imagine several interesting pieces of jewelry.

Comments

  1. Oops. I made a mistake. The purple ball that is needle felted only is in the upper right corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!
    One of these days I want a Fiber Play Date with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment