Wilton Cake Dyes and Alpaca FIber

Yes, you can dye with Wilton Cake dyes. I was attending a Woodland Weavers and Spinners spinning meeting. A woman was working on a beautiful skein of striped roving in blues and purples. I asked her how she had dyed it and was surprised to hear that she used Wilton Cake dye. She explained the method she had used and truly the results were magnificent. I could hardly contain my excitement. As soon as I arrived home I ran to my pantry to dig out all the Wilton dyes I never use. I was excited to see quite a few jars in an array of colors. Whoohoo!
Someone asked me to dye alpaca fiber in red, orange and green. The results of this effort are below. The only thing I have about deciding a specific color or result before I dye is that I loose the thrill of the surprise.
Try as I might, I was unable to get a deep red or a deep green. I will work with this dye possibly even combining it with Kool Aid, my friend, to see what I can accomplish. Meanwhile I like the psychedelic hues that emerged.


Sugar Plum ( I have no idea what a sugar plum is, unless of course it is an actual sugared plum-yuck (This color definitely conjures up sugar plums dancing in my head).


Spooky Orange-uh not really. It is a great color for Halloween. Not too dark/scary and not to light/whimpy. Middle ground orange/fun.


Christmasy Fluff-I know it is not as dark a an actual pine but it does have some elements of leaf/tree. Perhaps it is a bit too light for Christmas bling. I will have to work on this.


Sugar Plum 2-no comment other than my second attempt at red. What can I say? It will look great with the Christmasy Fluff in a bracelet. And yes, I would wear it.

Comments

  1. All of the colors are amazing!

    Too bad I don't bake because I could pull out my dyes too ;-)

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my eye on that Sugar Plum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can take it! It is wild and crazy. Tamara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment