Dyeing the Color Spectrum




My mom gave me Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece by Gail Callahan for my birthday back in September. I finally cracked it open and was delirious with the dyeing possibilities. I couldn't wait to get myself set up in the kitchen. I wanted to use her 'dyeing your own color wheel" instructions and get a spectrum of colors in alpaca. I was curious to see how alpaca would take the dye. Of course it is beautiful as I expected. I started off by reading the instructions, but not reading them at the same time. I screwed up and wasted a whole of McCormick food dye in yellow. I realized that I needed some coffee, a shower and music. I made a cup of joe, showered and put on some Regina Specktor/Cheb Khaled/Johnny Cash. My brain was ready.
I started by mixing the dyes, correctly this time. My jars were labeled and I had some alpaca seconds washed and ready to go.
Basically I soaked the fiber in 1 part vinegar 2 parts water for 30 minutes. I let it strain and then added it to the mason jar with the dye. I then let it stand for 30 minutes and then into the microwave for 2 minutes for the dye bath to run clear. After microwaving I rinsed the fiber and let it dry. Now I have a beautiful array of colors. I highly recommend this book if you are interested in dyeing. I have read several dye books and I think this Ms. Callahan's directions are very clear and well written. Don't take my mistake at the beginning as a fault of hers. The directions were clear. I was just not at the table. The photos are also of high quality and not over done or cluttered. She includes some really clever methods of dyeing cones, the parking meter method for stripes on yarn, and "mozzarella-style" dyeing with raw fleece. Cannot wait to post another dye method from this book!

Comments

  1. Your colors are gorgeous! I'd be excited too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a feast for the eyes! I am excited to see what comes next! The dye technique titles are VERY intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I really enjoyed the whole process. I will record these in my dye notebook. I may post that for Friday Fiber Arts. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip about Gail Callahan's book.
    There may still be time to add it to my Christmas wish list!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment