Friday Fiber Arts-Dyeing Crazy Day





I spent almost the entire day dyeing skeins of alpaca. Each skein is 110 yards of white 'paca. Alpaca really absorbs the colors well and I ended up with some nice finished products. I mixed Wilton Cake Dyes in mason jars and dipped entire skeins in bowls of color or striped dyed them with a basting brush. I choose hues from yellow, orange, copper to blues and greens. I also finished plying a few hand spun skeins. I let all the skeins dry outside on a dryer rack in the sun. A perfect day for fiber arts. I am scrambling about as I have an expo at Forest Hills Eastern high school on Saturday where I hope to sell some of these beauties.


This skein is alpaca/llama mix. I had some Christmas bling to jazz it up a bit. It was dyed in walnut husks. I plied in a string of red quilting thread with tiny pom poms. I am imagining a nice scarf knitted up from this one.

Enjoy your Fiber Arts Day! Check out Wonder Why Alpacas to see more Fibery Fun!

Comments

  1. Dyed in walnut husks? Hmm... I must really learn more about dyes and natural dying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fall colors Tamara! I found out last weekend how much fun yarn dyeing can be. Hope to see you soon. Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all this dyeing going on, I feel left out! I've got to try it. Lovely results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I really love that last one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope I get to see these before they fly off the shelf! They are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! I want to get into dyeing more next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!

    I love the pom pom bling!

    We really need to have a natural dye play day sometime. I keep reading and still get confused. I even bought a kit from Carol Leigh and still feel confused...it's the mordent that throw me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. fantastic colors-I'm itchin to get at some dyeing now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment