Friday Fiber Art-Greener Shades Dyes



I ordered a new dye kit from the Woolery. I received it in just a few days and was able to dye up some batts yesterday. The dye I used is Greener Shades. These are metal-free acid dyes and can be used to dye protein fibers as well as nylon. I used alpaca, of course, and was pleased with the results. Their website is http://greenershades.stillrivermill.com/
According to their manual "Greener Shades dyes can require less energy as exhaustion may occur at a lower water temperatures." The eco-friendly theme fits in perfectly with AOBA's new marketing theme for 2011 and my own farm name Via Verde (Green Road)!

I purchased the starter pack that includes nine dyes, citric acid and instructions. This package should dye about 13 lbs of fiber. I choose Flame Red, Amethyst Purple and Sunset Orange. I dyed 5 -5 oz batts and some Wensleydale locks. As far as roving vs. batt to dye, I prefer rovings. I find them easier to handle and that the fiber is able to absorb better.
Using the Greener Shades color chart I can mix up a wide array of colors to suit my needs. While I just am beginning to experiment with this dye I can see many exciting projects in the future. And tons of fun blending and spinning.


I can see this batt with blended with dark fawn alpaca, copper penny angelina and a dash of silk dyed yellow.



Wensleydale locks given to my by Twirly Curly Bird.


Hues of pink and purple.
See all of Friday Fiber arts At Wonder Why Galhttp://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2011/01/fiber-arts-friday-tink-or-tear.html

Comments

  1. I sell Greener Shades in my shop and they're the only dye I use now - Love them! Your results are gorgeous, too - loving those Wensleydale locks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo! Great pictures, I bet you are itching to spin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your colors are wonderful! I bought a kit from KnitsInClass and have to admit, I didn't like the green. Oh, don't worry Kate, I haven't given up being green but I also do like how my
    Jacquard Dyes just do exactly what I want every time.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm interested in hearing more on how you dyed the batts (I just got a drum carder, and I'm finally getting set up to dye). I'd figured on dyeing before carding, though, although I've toyed with pulling a roving off the drum and dyeing that ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, I will check out your store and order from you next time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment