Washing, washing alpaca fiber

Most of this week has been spent washing alpaca locks. It has been very time consuming yet very rewarding. VVF Delphine was born last spring and is rose gray. His fiber is really pretty and has great crimp. I had sent several 2 oz samples of his fiber to different shows on the AOBA circuit. I decided not to have his fleece processed but to wash and sell his locks on Etsy. I did not really realize how long it would take me to wash ounce by ounce.
I have about a three pound bag. I start by carefully pulling out a handful of locks and putting all the cut tips together.
I pick out the tips and open them up a bit to get any veg matter cleaned out.



<

I carefully place the locks in a sack a bunch of lemons came in that I sewed together at one end. I fill a bowl with warm water and add my wool wash-eco friendly of course-to the water and swish it around.

I gently place the bag with the locks into the water and press down to immerse the locks in the water.

I let them soak for about 15 minutes unless I get busy doing something else and forget about them! When I remember or if I set the timer I remove the bag and dump the water down the drain. I prepare the same wash soak again. I only wash soak twice. After the second wash I dump the soapy water and add tepid clear water for the rinse soak. I also add a dash of vinegar. Again I let the locks soak for 10 minutes or so and repeat the rinse cycle one more time. I end up with 2 wash soaks and 2 rinse soaks. You can tweek this according to how dirty your alpaca fiber is. After the last rinse I remove the bag from the water and place it in a salad spinner-locks are still in the bag. I spin it a few rotations for the excess water to drain off. I remove the locks from the bag and fluff them up. I place them in a single layer on a towel to dry. While this process is time consuming the results are so worth it! I can spin now straight from the lock knowing my fiber is sparkly clean.

Comments

  1. You're much more careful about washing than I am. I put about 1/4lb per bag... 4 bags per washing machine load and soak, spin, repeat until the water is clear. UsuallyI can get about 4lbs done a day or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! Totally want to spin that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. geez, I never get clean locks in that few of soaks. I think I'm trying to wash too much at once. Those locks due look yummy and so ready to be spun.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The washing machine I have is one of the newer models and really doesn't work for fiber projects. I am a bit bummed. I actually don't mind doing all the work. I got my helpful hints from Melissa Plank. And yes, WWG I wasn't getting mine clean either because I was using too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty fiber, thank you for the washing tips Tamara! Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment