Friday Fiber Arts-Knitting Update and Farm Friendly Goat Shed Cleaning



Well what a week! I did not spend too much time on fiber arts as most of my time was dedicated to feeding 3 crazy goats. I finally moved from feeding 4x a day to 3x and this should help me enormously. However I did get a couple of skeins of yarn spun but they are still on the bobbins. And I managed to make a bit of progress on my wristlets. I realized that the pattern isn't written correctly. I am getting a dainty lace pattern and the picture of the wristlets does not have this lacey appearance. According to the directions sk2p means slip one, knit together pass stitch over (this is what is written by the author). And she wants me to k2 directly after sk2p. Does that mean knit two stitches? Well apparently not! It means k2tog. So why didn't she write it like that? Grrr. Anyhow I have been K2....knit two stitches. And it looks fine so far. If the wrislets get to the point where I decide it isn't going to work out, heck, I will just make something else..a scarf perhaps?

On another note my black goats have been coughing and the vet gave them a shot of medicine last week as they had bronchitis and pneumonia. (Thankfully I moved Mama goat out a week before her delivery and she was spared that illness). They were doing better towards the end of the week. Then we had this wet, damp weather. I moved them into the barn for a few days to keep them out of the mist and rain. I didn't want Anna Nana's condition to worsen. Since today was clear, cold and sunny I decided to clean the goat shed while goats recuperated in the barn. It is impossible to clean their house when they are in their paddock. They stand in the way and get between my legs and climb on the gator, whine and basically are a nuisance. Anyway what a mess it was! 4 gator loads of hay and muck later I had a nice clean house. Ready for the goats to return to mess it up again! Now for the alpacas....
Happy Friday Fiber Arts, Creative Friday and Farm Friendly Friday!

Comments

  1. I love the little pattern you are creating, it's looking beautiful...as is the goat shed! PS Love the new photograph and all the yummy fiber listed in your shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your goats sound like naughty children Tamara. I hope they're all getting well quickly. It's not fun to be sick when spring is coming. It is very annoying when a pattern is written strangely I hope the pattern designer is going to fix some things in that pattern so the next person doesn't have the same issue. The lace looks nice, but then, anything looks nice knit with alpaca yarn. Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The goats are naughty! Alpacas are so much easier to manage than any other livestock. They are quiet, independent and good natured. Gotta love that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your knitting is beautiful...even if it's not the pattern intended by the designer. Sometimes those patterns can be very deceiving, especially to a new knitter.

    Yes, we've been deep cleaning the Alpaca barn and what a mess it is...I can't imagine having to clean up goats too. This weekend, the chicken coop gets a deep clean. It never ends, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors of your knitting, hope there are no more mistakes in the pattern.

    I was on massive barn duty last weekend when it was actually warm.... Now with rain/snow/cold my barn is right back to crap. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your goat shed looks almost clean enough for me to move into! O.K., I'm exaggerating. But it does look nice. As for the wristlets...I think every knitter has had the frustration of a pattern that just doesn't do what it's supposed to do. Often with patience we figure out. But when it's the pattern written incorrectly...sheesh! It's frustrating indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate it when I get a pattern that I can't understand but who knows, maybe you've just created your own pattern.

    My husband has individual house's for his 2 goats so their nice enough to not make a mess inside. Now if only they could train the alpaca's!

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope this isn't a dumb question ... are your goats fiber goats? I'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. See ... that's why I love alpacas (as well as llamas). You can tell their good nature just by watching them being handled.

    Glad to hear you're down to 3 daily feedings - I am amazed that animal farmers get anything else done! The caring for the animals really is a full-time job.

    Have a great fiber arts Friday - and go lightly on those wristlets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will try not to strangle the wrislets Voie de Vie. And Beth, no they aren't fiber goats. They are mostly pets. THanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes pattern problems can lead to whole new patterns, it looks very pretty so far

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I know just how much work those feeding times can be.. I have so many animals I feel that that is all I seem to do, i love it though. Your knitting looks very pretty. Sweet blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should tell my human to clean our houses out! Looks like you put a lot of work into making it that nice. Hope everyone is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment