Felted balls- trial and error

I know I have posted a blog on this topic before. However after a long time of messing around with doing it totally by hand I decided to use my washing machine. I always needle felt the balls.
I use fiber off the licker on my drum carder or roving from bits and pieces that I have around the house. I have been needle felting the ball first and then wet felting them in the sink. Finally I decided to throw a bunch in a laundry bag and into the washing machine. Oddly enough just as soon as I did an article came out in the latest Spin Off Magazine about making fiber balls and spinning them into a skein of yarn. Actually the same day I received my magazine I had just finished felting my first set of balls. They did get a tiny bit flattened and look more like stones than balls. I prefer the stone look.

I still have 2 big mesh bags to felt. I will probably end up with almost a pound. I usually felt about 7 or so ounces before I attend a fiber festival. They sell really fast and look fantastic in my wicker bowl. It is an easy project to do. The balls can be used for interior decorating, jewelry, or fiber arts.

Comments

  1. Missed you an FAF last week, (I know you are very busy!) the felted ball experiment produced some interesting results, I'll have to get the latest oopy of Spin Off, and check out the article!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment