Friday Fiber Arts Tour De Fleece

I confess that I have not spent too much time this week spinning. It has been so hot and miserable for my animals. I have been running down to the barn multiple times a day checking on them to make sure that they have water, spraying them off and adjusting the fans. I managed to sneak away yesterday and I attended the Ag Expo in Lansing. I had a great time and learned a lot! My little Kubota tractor is a toy compared to the huge ones that were on display!
Anyway back to spinning...so at the beginning of TdF I showed a picture of silver gray alpaca over dyed in purple. I have been spinning it and planned on adding crystal beads. It is taking me forever to finish as I have to dye and card the batts as I spin along. I am finally on my second bobbin and spinning in the beads.
I am excited to see how this will be plied.

One of the techniques I have been working on during TdF is plying. I was rummaging around my fiber stash and found many small balls of yarn that I have spun and did not yet have a use. I decided to ply them all together.
Overall I like the effect. Not sure about the pink/black section. I may end up taking that part out. Well off to take advantage of the rain and spin! Take a tour of more Fiber Arts happenings at Andrea's Blog.

Comments

  1. What fun plying you're doing! I'm such a new spinner (and I've only watched Youtube videos to learn), so I ply anything I find in my drawer with my handspun wool yarn...silk yarn, cotton cord, thin commercial yarns...why not...it's fun!! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a creative way to use up your singles, it turned out great! The expo sounds very interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of plying your unused singles together, sounds like a good way to use them :) I really like the way the colours came together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, what a fun yarn you created using up your leftovers and your beaded spinning is looking great. Can't wait to see the finished yarn.

    Sometimes I have pasture envy when I visit other alpaca farms who have such lovely green pastures. Then we get a hot week like this one and it makes me thankfull for all our shade and the gentle breezes we always seem to have.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you gave me a great idea to use up all my little balls of beginning spinning! I'm really into cable plying right now, so I can use up all the two-ply by cable plying them together!

    Okay, technically that doesn't "use it up." It just makes it a thicker yarn ...

    Hope your alpacas manage the heat. It's awful here in MD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was glad to find a way to use all the balls up. I would love to see what you all do with your extras.

    And yes, the alpacas are fine. They have been babied all week. I wish someone would do the same for me!! :) Have a great weekend FAF Friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally forgot the Ag Expo was going on. Was is worth the visit? I really thought about going...hmmm.

    Love your beaded spinning and the over-dyed yarn. Your plying of the multiple colors is great too. They always knit up into really fun FO's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your plied composite. I see it woven into a comfy blanket to use by a fire in the winter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with everyone else - that plying of the singles is most excellent! And, of course, I love the bling in the purple. Can't wait to see what you do with that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your yarn looks so chocolatey and warm. Miss you, are you coming to knitting this week? I have a friend that is your neighbor now. We should talk about her - in a good way. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment