Tour de Fleece Day 8, 7 , 6, 5

Welcome to Friday Fiber Arts and Tour de Fleece. We have all been spinning a lot this week. Check out Andrea's Blog for more Tour De Fleece updates and to see what is happening on FAF.

I am really mixed up on which day we are on in our TDF and therefore will just post what I did this week. I had a lot of fun experimenting and testing out some new skills.

I finished plying 4th of July Alpaca Style. I need to find the right pattern for this one.

I spun up this whacky and fun yarn using thick n thin. The pink strand is merino and the white is alpaca from my girl White Lace. The nude babies, pacifiers and safety pins are obviously about a baby hence the name of this skein "It's A Girl." I wanted a structurally sound yarn. I used some beading thread to secure the babies onto the yarn. I followed Dutch Hollow's advice for stringing glass beads onto a skein. I, of course, took liberties with the word "bead."

And finally I used a technique I read about in Spin Control. I used two roving processed identically. One was a natural silver gray from my alpacas Nightengale & Tula and the other was a fawn roving from Quito. I over dyed it in Flame Red from Greener Shades Dyes. I took both rovings and lightly pre drafted them. I spin them simultaneously to create one medium thick strand of yarn. This skein is 100% alpaca and so soft. I let the fiber meander as it pleased while spinning and it created a lovely yarn. I am not sure how much is on the bobbin. I have yet to remove it onto the skein winder.


I didn't get much spinning done yesterday or today as I was getting my beloved Tractor fixed and repairing the chick coop. Hopefully tomorrow. I have the plans for an Indian inspired yarn. Off to dye up some yarn. Have a wonderful weekend.

Comments

  1. That "It's a Girl" yarn looks wonderfully bizarre ;) Love the concept, although I have no idea how one would go about knitting with it - would love to see a swatch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baby yarn is very fun. I'm completely intrigued by the method you used in the last bobbin -- beautiful! I'm off to find a copy of Spin Control...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I immediately started thinking of what could be done with the "It's a Girl" yarn ... perhaps whimsical booties for a wee baby! That would certainly bring smiles.

    Looking forward to the Indian yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of the yarns but that final one is just speaking to me. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the technique used in the second and third yarns - that second one (minus the whimsical additions) would be great for an adult, too. :)

    Looking forward to the Indian-inspired effort next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still a little creeped out by the babies in the yarn. LOL Love the yarn color though. Good luck with Tour de Fleece. I'm slowly working my way through a Jacob fleece then want to get one of the braids I bought from Rita done. I'm hoping the tour doesn't finish before I do. Hope to see you at Urban Mill sometime. Sorry I was out of town last week and missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all! I know the babies are a bit creepy..they are supposed to weird. It created the right feelings! I don't know if I will knit It's a Girl up or not. I know I won't finish all of my things before Tour de Fleece finishes, but that is O.K. I should be sorting fleeces!
    @Marushka C hope you found Spin Control. I like this method a lot. It was really easy and fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice spinning, you're really getting a lot done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. That two-color single is awesome! I may have to give that technique a try. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh! i really like that top yarn. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment