Hand spun Socks

Last year I processed some of Captain Cavalier, my dark fawn male. He has a bit of a reddish tone to his fiber. It is quite beautiful. And he is cute as you can see.


The roving I had made I mixed with 50% merino in begonia (pink). I had spun some into a fine strand.
One day at Peaceful Knitters I met Joyce. She loves to knit socks on her vintage sock machine and invited me over to take a look. It was a beautiful piece of machinery. She knew all the ins and outs of its operations. We tried a commercially processed alpaca fiber first and it broke one of her needles. So we thought maybe a thinner hand spun would work. I sent some home with her and she knitted up these awesome socks. One is ribbed and the other not. She knitted both with 1 strand alpaca/merino and 1 strand of lycra. Lycra will help the socks to stay up and not slide down to my ankle.
I have worn them a couple of times. I am curious to see how my hand spun is going to hold up. The socks are super soft and comfy. My toes will be nice and warm this winter!

Comments

  1. They look great. I had a knitter make a pair of lovely socks out of my handspun Alpaca then...they accidently made it into the washer and dryer. Beyond felting and tears. Then a major whole in the foot and because of the felting there was no way to repair. ARGH!

    Enjoy your socks...and don't do what I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I can only imagine how incredible handspun alpaca socks must feel!!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look wonderful, a beautiful colour and all soft and squishy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment