Fiber Arts Friday-Sumac, Goldenrod, Marigolds..Oh My!!

Natural dyeing is such a wonderful experience. Every step is enjoyable from gathering of the materials to the finished product. I have become quite adapt at identifying plants that can be used for dyes and even have had a few surprises in my quest for dyeable materials. For example, the Cornus Kousa Dogwood has beautiful pink berries. I wondered if these would be a good source for dye. I was surprised to learn that these brilliant fruits are edible!

The berry that is used in dyeing is found on the Red Osier dogwood.
I have not yet tried to dye with the Red Osier berries. However I did do plenty of dyeing the other weekend with a friend, Darlene. We choose sumac blooms, goldenrod, marigolds and indigo to dye our fiber. Darlene had spun up quite a few skeins of polypay and a few alpaca. I played around with locks. Here are our results:



That about rounds up my fiber week. Why don't your pop on over to Andrea's blog for more adventures in fiber!

Comments

  1. That's so cool. I've only ever dyed yarn twice, both times with Kool Aid, so seeing the beautiful colours that can be achieved naturally is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try the marigolds, we definitely have plenty of those. It's nice to see the natural dyeing getting more attention -- lots of new books out and re-issues of some of the classic ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never would have thought to dye with those! Great idea and love the bright color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I have lots of marigolds ... great idea, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that turned out beautifully! I had no idea you could dye yarn with marigolds...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't done any dyeing, but I am moving toward giving it a try... someday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that yellow yarn. I really need to experiment with natural dyes...especially with so much nature surrounding my farm.

    Happy I Love Yarn Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We should all get together and do a big natural dye day! Those of you that live far away can stay here for the weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment