Farm Tip Tuesday-Heated Water Buckets

I never even thought to put in automatic water feeders when we built our barn. I managed the first winter...barely. Finally I worked out a system to run electrical cords to my heated water buckets. Then I figured a way to use recycled milk jugs to keep the connections dry over the winter months. It has worked out pretty well. I have heated water buckets in five of my paddocks.
Only once did I have an issue. My male alpaca, Blazing Ben, got his foot caught in one of the extension cords and by the time I got down to the barn he had pulled the cord free from the bucket and tore down the stake. He wasn't hurt and all was well.

Ben is always doing crazy things. One time he got a bucket caught around his neck and he wore it for about an hour before I realized and could get it off of him. Needless to say there are no more small feed buckets in the pen. Another time I brought home new hay feeders with a grid on top to keep the hay in the feeder and off the ground. In the first 15 minutes he had the grid around his neck. He freaked out and tore it to smithereens. Pieces of PVC piping and sand were all over the paddock. I don't use those grids anymore either. But I digress...

This is a photo of my water bucket contraption.

And this is with the milk jug.



I used my favorite and all purpose tool-zip ties to keep the milk jug snug and prevent it from blowing away. I used duct tape to seal the connection between the two cords and to keep the cords in place on the stake. The stake I purchased at Family Farm and Home for a couple of bucks. This is the boys water and I placed it on cinder blocks so I don't have to bend over and I used a tire to secure the bucket in place. Just in case someone gets an idea in their head....

Comments