Hand Spun Alpaca



I really love the beautiful natural colors of alpaca fiber. Here on our farm we have 18 pacas and each one is different in color from the other. Yes I have several dark silver grays, but each one has their own unique characteristics. Tula has a few beautiful brown spots on her coat while Nightengale is a "solid" beautiful mix of gray, dark gray and black. Even our fawn alpacas vary from dark fawn with a white foot, Iquique, to a solid light fawn as in Esmeralda. Every time a cria is born I love to imagine what the fiber will look like when it is spun up into a skein of yarn!
When I am on Etsy I see all these beautiful yarns chock full of gorgeous fibers and bursting with color. I love them all, but my heart is pulled to the dark bay, creams and rose grays of alpaca. I can imagine sunset orange with bay black or fawn with turquoise blue, lime paired with dark brown, peppermint pink plied with silver gray, etc. Natural alpaca fits with any color!
I have been working with color lately, but think I am going to start spinning my natural alpaca again. I am posting a few photos of hand spun yarn and hopefully you will be moved to spin some fawn, rose gray, white or brown alpaca too!!

Please check out Wonder Why Gal and Natural Suburbia for more Friday Fiber Arts!

Comments

  1. Ooo yummy looking fiber. I too imagine what yarn and product would look like from my animals. Unfortunately I breed all white/beige/light fawn but I do have 3 that are black and grey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! You have lovely alpaca and beautiful soft fiber which I love spinning!I'm gonna go check out your etsy shop for some fiber, Happy Spinning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I have knit with alpaca yarn but not tried to spin any yet. I definitely will when I get a little better using my wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I love playing with color, but sometimes the naturals can't be beat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last photo looks good enough to lick, like rich chocolate ice cream. Yummy. I love alpaca too! Happy Fiber Arts Friday. See you on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are very pretty! Personally I'm just the opposite - I love bright colors and tend to avoid naturals - but I can see the beauty in these, too!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I love also natural colours as well as natural materials! Your wools and yarns look so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love alpaca best ... it just seems like the 'friendliest' fiber. The first few times I spun it I made the mistake of spinning it very finely, so it lost all of its wonderful character. Now, I'm careful to spin it thicker, so it is still fluffy. Wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean...we can dye all the colors in the world but the natural colors our Alpacas are born with are truly the richest. Those grays are the most beautiful too. I need to get some more Sunshine Rose Gray washed so I can spin her.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment