Fiber Arts Friday-Learning A New Spinning Techinque

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday! A great day to check out what fiber happenings are out there. Check out Wonder Why Gal to more interesting blogs.


I decided to practice a bit before Tour De Fleece. I dyed up a white alpaca roving in greens and yellow. I carded them with bits of silk noil, banana silk, and bits of wool. I only added a bit of angelina! Using my fav book "Intertwined" by Lexi Boeger, I worked on thick n thin single ply.

I found this great stash at Salvation Army a while back and used a pink wool, very thin, strand to ply freely onto my single. I still wasn't sure that it was strong enough. So I decided to full it. Using one hot soapy tub of water and one cold tub of water I dunked the skein in the tubs alternating hot/cold about 4 times. I might have fulled the skein a bit too much. I notice in a few places the strands were stuck together a bit. But I felt much more comfortable that my yarn is stronger in the thick areas. The thick n thin technique is one that I really want to work on in Tour De Fleece. I like the contrasting colors of this skein and love the way the pink wool strand stands out. It compliments the fiber and I don't think it over powers the pretty greens and yellows.

Comments

  1. Great colourway!! Have fun with the TDF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful. I have to admit, my thick and thin just happen the way I draft. I want to be able to control when it happens. That's my goal for TdF this year...learn control. I know, this is a major challenge ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely. Like a red flower with pretty green leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice color effect on this yarn. It's funny that you're working on a thick and thin effect and I've worked hard at NOT making my yarn thick and thin. I'm all about smooth yarn. Great job Tamara!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment