Chester



I decided that Chester needed a post all to himself. He is quite the cat. Black, sleek and panther-like. He has a determined character and is intelligent Chesty comes when called for, purrs on demand, sits on car roofs and jumps through any open door. I would like to share a few stories about him.

I took him to the vet with Alice and Jake a few months ago. I gathered them up and put them into a large animal carrier. O.k. they were really heavy. Three cats each weighing about 8 pounds in a very bulky carrier. Of course I was carrying them and trying to get out of the gate before the goats could and push the minis back so I could squeeze out. Naturally I dropped the cats in their carrier. I know. I know. But they were fine. Completely freaked out but fine. I lugged them over to the truck and put them gently into the back seat. They were not pleased. Meowing and so forth. The whole way to the vet they whined. They got their vaccinations, etc. and as I was leaving the office when the nurse offered to put each cat individually into a cardboard box carrier. This way I would avoid dropping them and they would feel "safer." Fine. So we did that. Chester tried to escape but with four hands manipulating him ...
She helped me put the three carriers into the car. I went back into the office to pay. Then I climbed back into the truck and started to leave the parking lot when I heard meow and then I saw him! He was standing next to me in the car. I pulled over and investigated. He had chewed/clawed himself out of the box!! Unbelievable. So I let them all out and drove home with Jake on my lap, Alice between my legs and Chester on the steering wheel!
I thought for sure Chester was finished with cars after that day. But apparently not. A few weeks ago Sam opened his car door and then went to the back seat to fish something out of a bag. He then shut the door and climbed into the driver's seat and drove down the lane. That is when he heard "meow". He turned around to find Chester in the back seat as comfortable as can be.

But the most astonishing feat of Chester occurred yesterday when I let Alice and Chester into the basement room where I work on fiber preparation. It is an unfinished part of the house. However there is a small cabinet that holds the video equipment for the theater room. It is accessible both in the room I work and the theater room. I was playing with Alice when I heard clunk, clunk. I followed the noise and I could not find Chesty. Hum. Odd. I heard the phone ring and left the room, shutting the door behind me. I ran upstairs. When I finished the call I walked out of the office and guess who was standing there? Chester. I took him back down stairs with me. He wandered around a bit while I worked and then I heard the clunking again. This time I made it just in time to see him open the cabinet door with his paw and enter. He had done that before and passed into the theater room then upstairs. What a sneaker.

Comments