Plying alpaca with cotton thread


I was really excited to spin my new roving that I had processed at Morning Sun Fiber Barn in Iowa. The rovings I received were blended from several of my animals (White Lace, Blazing Ben and Emmy). I decided to spin up a skein of the latte colored fiber. Spinning it was pure joy! It is so soft and smooth. I love the natural colors of alpaca, but decided to give this skein some color. I picked a blue cotton thread to ply with the two bobbins. I figured out each of my bobbins hold about 3 oz of pre-spun roving. This calculation helped me a lot as I was always having extra yarn on the bobbin. I had just enough cotton to complete the project. This skein is 110 yards.

Comments

  1. Beautiful yarn!

    Isn't it exciting when you have your own fiber to spin? Your own fiber processed in the way it deserves? Of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most definitely. I don't have to follow a silly pattern someone else made up. i can just make what I feel like at that moment or use what i have around the house, etc. Be creative on my own terms. I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment