Fiber Arts Friday- What to Dye..What to Dye

This week found me running from this and that. I was completely unorganized and all over the map. Part of the reason is that I am finally losing that exhausted feeling from the virus. I actually have energy and just don't know where to start! I should be in my paddocks cleaning up....but my fiber stash beckons.

With several fiber fests coming up I am trying to work my through my stash. I over dyed some fawn alpaca that I washed/picked a while ago. I used ruby red. I really love Greener Shades Dyes. The colors are clear and soft on white fiber. I am finding that the ruby red does over dye on fawn or light/medium rose gray nicely.



Amethyst purple dyes beautifully over medium or dark silver gray.


But I am not getting a darker color from Greener Shades and some colors of alpaca do not like to be over dyed. Do any of you have experience with Greener Shades? Or any thoughts?

Besides dyeing I spent some time spinning. I just need to ply the skein with the beads from last week. I still have my Indian bling skein which I am still spinning. And I started another bobbin of toffee colored alpaca.

This weekend I am headed Tealwater Ranch for National Alpaca Days. I will be setting up a fiber booth and if you are in the area stop by and see us. Cora has a lovely farm with beautiful alpacas! On Sunday I will be natural dyeing with a friend here on my farm. We are going to be using goldenrod, pokeberry, sumac and indigo. I cannot wait! If I can find another large pot I might sneak in dogwood berries.
That is all from Via Ver1de for the week. Enjoy your FAF and head on over to Andrea's blog to check out more fiber fun!

Comments

  1. Pretty fiber, good luck with your show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely!! I use other brands of dye so I can't help you, but to say that maybe you just need a stronger concentration of dye powder to water?

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried Greener Shades and didn't like it...mostly because I didn't get the intense color I had hoped for. Have a great weekend at Cora's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck at Nat'l Alpaca farm days. I'm off to do spinning demo's at 4 Musketeers.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all! I may contact Knits in Class. I think she sells Greener Shades. @Wonder Why Gal I remember you having problems with GS. Good luck to all who are at National Farm Days!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment