Making my own laundry detergent

The holidays are over and I just got back from a warm and sunny vacation only to be greeted by sub zero degree weather. Whether I am too cold to be motivated or still recovering from my trip that "to do" list sitting on my calender just isn't going to happen.  Instead I decided to make my own laundry detergent because it sounded like a fun project and I happen to have had all the ingredients in my laundry room.


Here is what you need to make your own detergent:

2 bars of ivory soap, grated
1 cup of Borax
1 cup of Washing Soda
optional-a couple of drops of essential oil in lavender or which ever floral scent you prefer.

I grated the bars in a glass bowl. Be careful as the soap gets smaller not grate you fingers by accident. I almost did this because I was watching Season 4, episode 1 of Downton Abbey while grating.
Grating, grating and more grating

Borax and Washing Soda

Final Product


I added the Borax and Washing Soda. I stirred it with a plastic spoon until the mixture was completely combined. I then added about 5 drops of lavender essential oil. Voila! I have my detergent. I store mine in a glass jar with a tight lid. Use 2-3 tablespoons per load.

This detergent is perfectly safe for your washing machine (including HE washers), septic tank etc.

If you don't have all the ingredients on hand you can find washing soda, borax and the ivory bars at your local grocery store in the laundry section. They are not expensive to purchase. It does save you money in the long run and gives you an excuse to sit down and watch Downton Abbey!

 


Comments

  1. I haven't ever seen washing soda ... I'm just familiar with A&H's baking soda. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is right in your local grocery store laundry section. Nice stuff and very useful.

      Delete

Post a Comment